Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Turbulent Times

It's times like these I like to know that no one really reads this blog. Things are more personal this way and the things I write I know will only be read by close friends or people I'd confide in.

This weekend I was told firsthand about the state of affairs in china. There are these children there, called left-behind children, who tend to their daily affairs themselves because their parents are off in another province working. Uncle Patrick told me about this, if you don't know who he is then it doesn't matter. What matters is the life of these children. They are malnourished. When asked what they eat, they reply "noodles and sweet potatoes". There was this one child living in a one room house with his younger brother. He is severely malnourished and as a result suffers from stunted growth. Him and his brother are both in grade 4, but they are not of the same age. This older brother shoulders the burden of taking care of his younger sibling, cooking, cleaning and acting as a stand-in parent. The poverty is so severe that the parents are reluctant to pay 10 yuan ($1.75) bus fare needed to visit their children, instead only sparing this amount once a month. Such is the degree of our world.

Just today my friend's friend died. He fell of a bridge while drunk. I know... wtf. I really don't know how to make sense of what happens in this world. Must we face death to feel alive? Must we grieve to feel human? It feels like being retched from my automaton studying life and thrust back into real life, with real problems. This detachment, and helplessness. When I really want to be there for someone why is it done through the internet. How I want to make things right in the world.

Enough of my rants... I just feel empty.

No comments: