After a little break from the concert scene, I got the chance to head to El Mocambo with a couple friends to enjoy a good ol' indie rock-out. I never thought of myself as a hipster, and I still don't really think of myself as one. The old clothes I wear, the music I listen to, I adhere to because I'm trying to be as thrifty as possible. I love the fact that with indie music and artists you don't need to bust the bank to listen to some really extravagant stuff. You can download a bunch of their music for free (legally) and they're just so grateful for you showing up to their gigs.
So Tuesday night we get into the ElMo just in time to stumble in on a wicked band headed up by a nice looking girl named Mia Riddle. That girl had stage presence, a few times I thought that she'd shed a tear, she was so into the music. The funniest part of the set by far was the drummer. I don't know if they didn't have a high enough seat for him (he was a pretty tall guy) but he was hunched over the drums throughout the whole thing. Now that I sit here listening to their myspace stuff I can say that they were much much much better live (and they're not half bad on myspace).

Then there was the Freelance whales, and they were whoa. You know how in most bands there's a guitarist, drummer, a bassist and a singer? They had those roles in Freelance Whales, 'cept they were freeflowing and changing. I wouldn't be stretching if I said everyone in that band could play the instrument of any other person. They have a great digital sound, interspersed with very innocent overtones and they got some interesting tones. There was one set where the guitarist took a violin bow to his guitar and made a sound that I can only describe as whale-esque.

Anyways that's more writing than I've done in a LONG time so take a listen to these folk. Mia Riddle and those Freelance Whales.
No comments:
Post a Comment