So I think I'll do a little recap of my winter holidays before I go deep and do some self-exploration in my next entries.
I had begun my winter break by stating that I'd like to recapture some of my youth by doing really spontaneous things, or doing something I'd never done before, get some of that craziness back in my life... well it came true halfway. The winter break wasn't exactly a stellar one. It wasn't a dismal one either. Lots of interesting and unexpected things happened and even though it didn't always make for fun times, it made the days less boring.
There were a mix of parties and funerals and meeting up with friends, all which added to it's novelty. This winter was the first time in my life I'd been to two funerals in a week and I discovered that I had 2nd cousins who were white. It took me half the funeral trying to figure out why there were so many white people there and how they knew my grandma's brother. Figured it out in the end, but really made no effort to talk with them. Saw some random CCSA people there and made no effort to talk to them either.
I'm just glad that after all the funerals were over and done with there was New Years to look forward to. It was the typical with the friends, food and alcohol and I must say, New Years isn't nearly as fun without the alcohol.
Boxing Day this year was awesome. Last year I spent boxing day shopping around Eatons and Queens Street after only getting 1-2 hrs of sleep. I remember hating the experience, leaning against any pole/support pillar I could to try and catch some more Zs. I ended the day snagging zero swag and more tired than I started the day off as. But I did learn that I actually can sleep standing up.
Going for the quiet approach this year I slept in until 12pm and then did nothing. Didn't bother going out to a mall or look to for deals at some random shop, I just plain ol' stayed home. The highlight of the day was when I went to Chapters. I was meeting a friend there, not to shop, but for the Starbucks. The great thing was that once we were there, we did end up shopping. Books, books, books galore, and the greatest thing was that some of them were actually on sale! I love books and I love reading, it's just that with all the books out there now, and time being so precious I can't waste it on a book I won't like. That's one of the reasons why I stopped reading for pleasure, too much risk. But I ending up with a book on China, a book on an Indian corresponding with a Chinese man and another about a dead dog. With all the shopping over and done with we sat down to a conversation. The only downside to that day was the inadequate amount of time. If only there was more time :)
New Years we had our annual church-wide hockey tournament. I thought I'd mention it in case I forgot later on. Ask about it and I'll tell you more about it, cuz I've already written too much.
And so now maybe I'll end off on a discussion about our finite existence. People come and go, our times come up or run out. We celebrate the passing of another year or we spend them time reading or playing poker or skating but all of this is time and it does run out. Maybe time itself will never run out, but our ventures will always end. Just make sure you have a good story to tell afterward.
No comments:
Post a Comment